Your post should be around 500 words, though there is no penalty for writing more. [This is about one (1) a typed, single-spaced page.] And, your post should demonstrate a good understanding of the topic. Use good English grammar and composition skills. Please type your post in the Canvas discussion window instead of attaching a document.
Take your time to do this assignment well. You will NOT be able to do a good job if you wait until the last minute.
You should cite data as needed from the source materials, but you should NOT copy and paste entire paragraphs from the articles. You are welcome to research and cite other data as needed.
You do NOT need to use MLA citation standards UNLESS you use data that does NOT come from one of the resources below.
To receive full credit, you must respond to the posts of at least two (2) of your classmates. An appropriate response details why you agree or disagree with their position.
[BEFORE YOU BEGIN, make sure to review the instructions on discussions in the Start Here Module.]
Constitutional (Permitless) Carry
The 2021 Texas Legislature passed – and Governor Abbott signed – HB 1927. This law, which took effect on September 1, 2021, allows any Texan over age 21 to carry a handgun, openly or concealed, without the need to have a state-issued license. The only restriction is that the person must not be excluded from possessing a firearm by another federal or state law.
After the mass shooting at the El Paso Walmart in August 2019, Governor Abbott said he was committed to “action and results” against gun violence. Gun control advocates feel betrayed.
After the mass shooting between Midland and Odessa in August 2019, Governor Abbott’s spokesman issued a statement reiterating that the governor “made clear in Odessa that all strategies are on the table that will lead to laws that make Texans safer.”
Law enforcement officials (LEOs) generally oppose permitless carry laws. This bill became law over substantial objections from the law enforcement community.
Read ALL the articles and look at the video(s) posted linked below. Your best strategy is to make notes about the points as you read and watch. Then address the bulleted points following the resources in order. Make sure you separate your work into separate paragraphs. Ideally, you would copy the bullet-points below and answer beneath them.
Now, consider the following questions.
In your analysis,
- What is the best argument in favor of constitutional carry? What is the best argument against?
- How do you view the fact that the law enforcement community does not favor this law? Are their concerns valid? Or, are they overblown?
- Should there be concern about the lack of a training requirement?
- Should there be concern about “collateral damage – innocent people caught in crossfire?
- Why do you think Governor Abbott signed this legislation now? How does this law likely affect Governor Abbott’s political future?
- If you support this new law – or if you don’t — what is one thing you would like people on the other side to understand?
- Does this law make Texans safer? Why or why not?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texans-can-now-openly-carry-guns-in-public-without-a-permit-or-training-police-say-the-new-law-makes-it-harder-to-do-their-jobs/ar-AAO021S?li=BBnb7Kz (Links to an external site.)