Privacy Laws and Protection of Personal Information
The protection of personal and confidential information is tremendously important to U.S. citizens and organizations. The security of a private citizen’s information and personal effects is specifically addressed in the Constitution and in the Bill of Rights. In modern times, the Internet has provided a venue where information about individual users is gathered, stored, analyzed, and reported. This information is sometimes used by organizations to make better tactical and strategic business decisions. Considering the large amounts of data collected by the government and private industries, there are huge gaps in existing protection laws. Review the article “Is Privacy Possible in 2020?” or select another case and provide the link to it in your writing and on the reference page.Write a 3–5 page paper based on the information from the above link with supporting research activities. You may also use the information in the text (without plagiarizing), or other resources. Complete the following:
- Identify and briefly describe 2–3 laws enacted to protect citizens’ privacy and intellectual property rights.
- Identify the organizations responsible for enforcement or monitoring compliance with those laws.
- Discuss 2–3 systems that gather data that citizens fear is being misused.
- The European Union (EU) designed the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to strengthen the protection of citizens’ data. Discuss the pros and cons of its use in comparison to the protections present in U.S. law or regulations.
- Provide suggestions or recommendations of mitigations that citizens can use to protect themselves from possible loss or misuse of personal or intellectual information.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources. The Strayer University Library has many excellent resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course.